Thursday, June 3, 2010

Who's watching you?

Proverbs 22:6, "Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it." I was lying in bed last night reading, and my son was next to me watching a little television. My husband is on nights right now, and he sometimes sleeps with me so I won't be alone. (or so he says that's the reason) He turned over to look at me and said, "Mom, there won't be anyone at my last game tomorrow night. Dad is working, Amber is in San Antonio, and Mimi and Poppa are on vacation." I responded, while gasping, "Uhh, hello! Me and Kaitlyn will be there." "Yeah Mom", he said, "but I need all of yah. You, Dad, Amber and Kaitlyn are my inspiration. Yah help me want to do better. I need all of yah there." I paused..... Wow...this was coming from a seven year old's mouth. After reasuring him that all would be ok for his game, he turned over and fell fast asleep. My heart was full and achy all at the same time. Full, because I felt the warmth of him "needing" me. Achy, because I began to think about all the times, that he might have been watching me, and I wasn't so inspirational. The times that I said and did things, that were not so appropriate, and his little eyes and ears were there. Watching and listening. There were times that I have reacted in ways that, I am not so proud of. There were times that I have said things, that I wish I hadn't. All the while, they were there, watching me...and learning from me. To know that my seven year old is inspired by the presence of family, and values us so deeply, melts my heart. But, the reminder that he is watching me, and everything I do or say, will inspire him, either for the better or for the worse, speaks to my spirit. Parenting comes with great responsibillity. Besides feeding them, clothing them, supporting them, loving them, and caring for their every need, there is the nurturing. One definition of nurturing is "the training of a child". How do we train them to react to certain situations? How do we train them to deal with their emotions? How do we train them to deal with the emotions of others? I don't know about you, but I am guilty of inspiring them in the wrong ways, at times, and in all the areas listed above. Inspire means "to exert or guide by a divine influence". Divine means "of, relating to, proceeding from, or pertaining to God". Wow! To inspire our children means to guide them with Godly influence. (I type this, while sinking in my chair with guilt) There have been times that I have spoken or done things, that there was no divine influence at all involved...just me, my anger, and my pride. What have I taught them about relationships? How have I taught them to speak to others, in the way I speak to them? How have I taught them to treat eachother, in the way that I treat my own siblings? How have I taught them to love and speak to their future spouses, in the way that I love and speak to their father? How have I taught them to love God, and all His goodness, in the way that I serve and worship Him? How have I taught them to seek out God's word, by the way I do or don't read my bible? Look around you today. See who is watching you. Whether it be your own kids, someone else's, or the little boy next door. Some one is always watching. Who's watching you? Hebrews 6:12, "Do not become sluggish but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!