Sunday, November 28, 2010

Even the little things.

I've spent the past few days with my two sisters. Being that we are adults now, and live in different towns and states from one another, we don't get to "play" together like we used to. There's nothing like some good ole' sister lovin' time, to make your heart smile. I have felt quite overwhelmed these past few weeks. Work is busy as usual, and we recently found out my husband will be having knee surgery before the end of the year...that is...nine days before Christmas. Yikes! Christmas time should be interesting. I'm also dealing with the fact, that I may or may not be, almost possibly (Okay i'm pretty certain) heading straight for the door to menopause and banging on it with much attitude! God spoke to me a few weeks ago and said, "I'm going to bring you through something." I responded quite calmly and said, "Okay Lord. Just keep Frankie and the kids safe". After careful reconsideration of my simple and short conversation with God, it should have been something much more panic stricken!! I think my menopause started the instance the words "Okay Lord" left my mouth. You are probably thinking..."you're way too young and beautiful for this to be happening so soon!" I know right!! My thoughts exactly! Me? Menopause? This soon? Nonsense! So...there I stood...Christmas on it's way, no shopping done (of course), my husband's surgery in the final stages of preparation and ...hair falling out, mood swings flying in from every direction, crying at the drop of a hat (more than usual if you can imagine that), gaining weight at olympic speed, and having hotflashes like I'm standing in the middle of the Sahara Desert! But good news had found me...my sisters were on their way to my house for four days! The calvary was on it's way!!!
When they arrived, the hugs seemed to last for hours. My girls were here and the good times could begin. We began to chit chat and laugh about things that only we found funny. Everyone else thought we looked a little crazy, but we knew what we were laughing about...or maybe, we were all a little crazy. (LOL) We talked about anything and everything. The subject moved to Christmas presents and shopping for our kids. My sister Jo explained how she had "temporarily" lost her son's Nintendo DS game..which had actually been more than a month or two, if we want to be technical. She had placed it somewhere to remind herself to give it to him, but forgot where she had placed it. Been there...done that. She had looked everywhere and anywhere to find it. She explained to me all the places she had looked and it sounded like she had scoped her place out with a fine tooth comb, but seemed to come up short each time...not ever finding the game. My heart felt her frustration as she explained that she might have to purchase a new one. So...I asked her, "Did you pray about it?" "Pray?" she asked. "Yes." I said. "That's something silly to pray about. That seems kind of crazy to ask God of all things to help me find a game," she responded with doubt. I said, "No it isn't. God cares about the little things that we need. Ask him to replace your steps and help you remember where it is." She looked hesitant as she said, "I don't know about that. It seems silly." "He is there for whatever we need," I said, "even the little things."
The next morning we were sitting in my office, drinking coffee and talking about some scholarship stuff for my daughter. She remembered that she had something to give me, and ran to her car to get it. She came in and placed a large manilla envelope in my lap. She said that it was my late birthday present, that she had forgotten to mail. We laughed and I opened the package. I pulled out a book that she had bought for me. I read the cover and back and explained how I looked forward to reading it. I picked up the manilla envelope, and it still felt heavy like there was something inside. I just assumed there was another present inside. I smiled a huge grin, and without looking, I placed my hand inside the envelope and pulled something out. It was her son's DS game!! She had placed it in the envelope with my present to keep it from getting messed up in her car. Our eyes immediately found eachother's and we began to scream. We stood up and hugged, crying hysterically. As she hugged my neck tight in excitement, she exclaimed, "I prayed last night before going to bed, that God would help me find his game!" "Even the little things," she said crying. "Yes", I said, "even the little things."
My sister was hugely blessed, because of her faithfulness in the power to just ask God and believe, knowing that God would answer her prayer. Not only that...it blessed me to watch it all unfold. God wants to bless us...even in the little things!
What "little" things are you hesitant to take to God? The God who created the enormous galaxies, the vast mountain range and our perfect universe, also created the smallest things, like the perfect little black dots on the wings of a tiny red ladybug. If He cares enough to take His time in creating such tiny things for our pleasure, then that means He is interested in the tiny things in OUR lives...down to the smallest details! Even helping us find a lost DS game. The enemy will try to distract us with lies such as, "God has better things to worry about, like world hunger or the wars. Why would you ask Him for something so small and meaningless? He doesn't have time for that." But, that is simply not true. Saying that about God puts him in a box, putting limitations on what He can do. Our God is limitless!! His power is endless and simply can not fit in any box, no matter how huge. He is omniscient and powerful! God can not be contained, nor can His explosive power in our lives. He cares about the things that we find meaningless. If we trust Him with the big things in our life, how can we not trust Him with even the little things? He cares about every tiny and intricate detail of our lives. Our God can do ALL things! Big or little!
Go ahead...see for yourself. Ask God to show you His power and love...even in the little things!
I'm definitley going to find a quiet place this week, close my eyes, enter God's perfect presence, and pray to Him about that little thing called...menopause!
II Thessalonians 1:11-12
To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every(thing) desire for goodness and the work of faith with power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus will be glorified in you, and you in Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
I Thessalonians 5:17
Pray without ceasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!