Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thirsty?







I awoke last night and stumbled to the bathroom to empty my well known, pea-sized bladder.

(It's a gift my three kids left me after hours and hours of laboring them into this world. The little sweeties.)

With one eye closed and one eye barely open, I opened the door to the bathroom, to find my little cat sprawled over the toilet drinking the toilet water.

Uggh, gross.

She turned to look at me, then continued to drink lavishly from the germy water.

I shewed her away with a grossed out, "Get!".

As I turned to sit down... I heard something scratching in the bathtub.

"A dawg gone mouse", I thought to myself.

Lovely.

I just wanted to use the bathroom...and go back to bed.
  That's all.  Is that asking too much?

I grabbed the toilet brush that was sitting next to the toilet.
(Not sure if it was the best weapon of choice, but it was better than nothin')

The noise got louder.

With my heart slightly beginning to race at this point, because I loathe and fear mice more than Jason on the Friday the 13th horrifying movie series, I slowly pulled back the shower curtain.

To my surprise and heart's relief, there was no mouse.

(Whew! Thank the good Lord for that!)

 It was only my 21 lb. cat, drinking the water that was trickling on the bottom of the bathtub.

Really?!!

There is barely any water in there!  Only a few drops that have collected at the bottom near the drain!
That can't possibly quench his thirst!

Seriously?!


Let me just say that I DO give my cats water.

They get a clean bowl of water every day.

Every. Day.

Even though, I know they won't drink from it, I still give it to them.
Possibly hoping, that they will take it and stop drinking from the toilet!

I began to wonder what was wrong with my cats.

Do they know what's been in that toilet?
The germs that linger?

Do they know what's been swishing around in that bathtub?
The filth that collects?

Do they think they're not deserving of anything better?

Again... gross.

Even so,  I continue to give them a nice bowl of fresh, pure, clean water in a clean bowl.
A. CLEAN. Bowl.

Trying to give them the best I can.

We rescued both of them from the harsh life on the streets, and I am pretty sure there wasn't a toilet on every corner for them to drink from.

Why do they drink from the grossness of the toilet? the bathtub?



Then,
 I thought of myself.

And how I used to be.

How I drank from the world trying to quench my thirst, and not the purifying fresh cleansing water of a Savior in love with me.

How at times, I fall, and go back to the world, lapping up a trickle of sin here and there.

How it leaves me empty. thirsty. unquenched.



John 6:35
Jesus replied,
"I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."


My heart smiled as I thought of my Savior.
How He offers Life to all of us.
Freely.
Daily.
Without owing anything.

He gives Himself to us.

He offers us the best, and yet we still choose to drink from the sess-pool of life.

Maybe we listen to the enemy as he hisses into our lives,
"Look what you've done. You're not deserving of Him. He can't possibly satisfy you like I can."

We begin to believe that we don't deserve Him.
We open the lid to the world and drink of its' filth, as the germs collect around our hearts.
Even if it's a trickle here and there, we drink, lapping up the sin.
We walk away empty, and thirsty for something more.
Our lives unquenched.
Dry and barren.



When all along, the Fountain of Living Water awaits us.
Quenching our every thirst.
Filling our lives with grace.
Overflowing and sufficient grace.
Cleansing us to our very core.

Bringing forth The Well of Life from our hearts.

Loving us simply because we are His.


Isaiah 44:3
 For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground: I will pour my spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thy offspring.




Why do we settle for what the world gives us?
When Jesus offers us His best every day.

Every. Day.

John 7: 38
Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare. 'Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.'

Thirsty?

Where are you drinking from today?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!