Thursday, February 28, 2013

The conversation with my son that I'll never forget.


 




If our heart beats for what God’s heart beats, shouldn’t compassion for people and a passion for His mission on this earth be our Holy obsession.
~~Ann Voskamp
 

As I sat at the bus stop yesterday, waiting on my little nephew to get off of the bus, I came across this video on Ann Voskamp's blog.

My little guy was sitting next to me in the passenger's seat.

As I began to watch the video, he asked who the lady was speaking in it.

I told him that she was Christine Caine and that she began an organization for human trafficking.

He looked puzzled and said,
"Mom, what's human trafficking? Is that about people getting angry in traffic, ya know...like you do sometimes."

I giggled, feeling a little ashamed of my apparent "road rage" at times, and began explaining to this innocent precious little 10 year old boy about...
human slavery.

I explained how women and children from all over the world were taken and forced to live as human slaves for other people. I explained that the circumstances in which they lived were horrible, painful and most likely seen in a horror movie. I explained how the people responsible for this needed to go to jail for the hurt they caused, and that those women and children needed to be rescued. I explained that that was Christine Caine's mission behind her organization.

His eyes grew wide and his little face dropped.
 I could tell he was shocked by the thought of it all.

I myself, could hardly fathom that I was actually sitting there talking to my son about modern day slavery.
As the words left my mouth, it just seemed unreal.

I continued to explain a little more to him, trying to finish the conversation as gently as I could.

He sat quiet, as I could feel my voice shaking and the urge to cry with every word that fell out of my mouth.

In mid sentence, I could see that his mind was turning rapidly inside his little head and that he wanted to say something.

So, I finished my sentence and asked if he had any questions.

He said,
"Mom, how old are those little kids?

I said,
"Young, very young."

He asked,
"My age young?"

I said,
"Yes."

He sat quietly for a few seconds, then he asked...
"Do those kids ever make it back to their Moms?"

I answered back,
"Some do, some don't."

He sat again quietly looking down at the seat.

He then looked up at me and asked,
"Do they know Jesus Mom? You know, the bad people?"

I answered back,
"No sweetie, I'm pretty sure they don't."

He looked at me with confidence and said,
"Well, I'm going to pray for the bad people and for those ladies and kids. They need to know that Jesus loves them and maybe they won't hurt anymore.  And maybe those kids can go back to their Moms."

Then, he grabbed my phone, pressed the arrow button,
and began watching Christine Caine's sermon in it's entirety. 

He paused it only long enough, to tell his cousin hello, then began watching it again.


After it was over he said to me,
"That was pretty good huh, Mom?"

I responded with a yes, as he ran to his room with his cousin to play.

I stood in my kitchen amazed at God's faithfulness, and in awe of this little boy of mine...
 so hungry for the Lord


I thought that this video was going to be just about human trafficking,
 but it was so much more than that.

It's a little long, but I promise you if you watch it in it's entirety...it will bless you and inspire you.


It doesn't matter how skilled you are before the race starts,
or how fast you run to the finish line...
what matters most, is that you don't drop the baton.
The next generation is counting on you to hand it over to them.
For their sake and others, don't drop it.
~~Christine Caine


Mark 16:15
He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation."


Matthew 28:19
He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old."



 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!