Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Watch out..it's a trap!

My family and I love animals. We love to learn about different species and how they live and survive in the wild. When we found out that the Discovery Channel was airing an eleven part special called, "Life", we knew we didn't want to miss it. The extraordinary way that God has created each animal to survive and given them each special techniques to do so, blows my mind. One of the animals that was shown on the first episode was the Venus Flytrap. I had always heard about it and seen it portrayed in cartoons and such, but never like this. What an amazing and beautiful creation. It is green with a beautiful pink color on the inside. It secretes this sweet nectar on the inside of it's opening. This is what attracts the small bugs and flies. They smell the sweet nectar and it lures them in. The fly begins to eat the nectar, thinking it's going to eat a nice delectable meal, as the Venus Flytrap remains perfectly still. It has several long and soft thorns inside of it's mouth. When the fly rubs on two or more of them, the flytrap immediately closes tightly, trapping the fly from escaping. It then begins to slowly suck the fluid out of the fly to kill it. The fluid, that the flytrap has inside of it's stalk, causes the fly to turn to a liquid form. This can take up to three long weeks. This is actually how the flytrap receives it's nourishment, from the fluid the fly secretes from it's dieing body. This helps the flytrap live and grow until it's next victim comes along. Gross..huh?! But, it works for the Venus Flytrap. Well, isn't that how sin works? It lures us in with it's sweetness and promise of "happiness". We think we are in it to just have a little fun and a little satisfaction. Then, when we least expect it, it traps us! It closes in on us and we can't escape. It then begins to slowly suck the life right out of us. It may take a while, but eventually we are just mush in the mouth of sin. It destroys us from the inside out. It kills us! And the more we stay around sin, the more we feed it and allow it to grow. I have seen sin kill the love between two people in a marriage. I have seen sin cause someone to take their own life. I have seen sin cause one to kill another. I have seen sin abuse children. I have seen sin curse God. I have seen sin lie. I have seen sin destroy the lives of many families and people. But, I 've never seen sin fix anyone. I've never seen sin heal relationships. I've never seen sin dry tears or mend a broken heart. I've never seen sin create joy. But, Jesus can! Where sin has killed you, Jesus can give you life! Where sin has trapped you, Jesus can set you free! The trap of sin won't survive unless you feed it. Starve the sin in your life today and let Jesus give you pure fulfillment of joy! Romans 5:8, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this; while we were still stinners, Christ died for us." Psalm 16:11, "In his presence is fullness of joy." John 15:13, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

1 comment:

  1. NICE!I WAS WORRIED FOR A SECOND I WASNT SURE IF I COULD HANDLE A GROSS BUG STORY FIRST THING THIS MORNING BUT AS ALWAYS YOU TURNED IT AROUND TO A BEAUTIFUL STORY! LOVE YA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!