Thursday, February 3, 2011

Prayer time with Mason

Mason is eight years old now. He asked Jesus into his heart a few weeks ago. "For real this time in front of people", he says. That's makes me one proud and super duper thrilled momma! I thought it was time to try and get him to enhance his "prayer time" with God. We say his prayers together each night when I tuck him into bed. It's one of my favorite moments of the day. He has always said his prayers, since he learned to talk. But, I thought it was time to graduate from the "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" prayer that we have said together for most of his life. Not that it isn't a good prayer, but I thought it was time to teach him how to genuinely pray from his heart. I wanted him to know that there was nothing, nothing...that he couldn't talk to Jesus about. They were "buddies" now, and I wanted to show him that he could talk to Him about anything that was on his heart. Well...we had to compromise. He still wants to say his "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" prayer. After he says that prayer, then he prays a special personal prayer. Either for his friends or a special thought that might be on his heart at the time. I figured a double dose wouldn't hurt. It would only help him grow to love to pray. I normally have to hold in a giggle or two with the things he says, but I know it is honestly coming from his heart, and I know God is appreciating every word out of his mouth. I think God might get a giggle or two out of it too. With all this cold weather going on, and the mention of the slight possibility of snow...you can just guess what his prayer has been for the past few nights. After his normal prayer, a few prayers for his friends that have had the flu all week, and mentioning all his family members, which always includes our two cats, two dogs and his sister's turtle, he pleads with great emotion for SNOW. I had to break it to him last night, that there was not a chance for snow, only sleet and icy rain. So then he asked, "Will that still mean that I get a day off from school tomorrow?" "It's possible," I said. "Yes!" He says all excited, "Then I pray that we have sleet and icy rain so I don't have to go to school. Oh God, please let it sleet tommorrow." I then had to explain to him that it was not a very good thing to pray for, on the account that some people aren't blessed like we are to live in a nice warm home. I told him some people don't have a home and live outside. And some people can't afford a heater for their house. I told them that those people can be in danger if the weather gets too cold. His eyes got real big. "Oh no Mom, really?" he asked. I told him that we should pray that IF it sleets, for God to provide shelter for the homeless and to keep everyone warm and safe. With a look of worry on his face, he asks " Oh gosh, do you think I can take my prayer back? How do I erase it?" Kids...so entertaining...they should come with popcorn. Psalm 14:2 Let my prayer be set forth as incense before You, the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice. Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. I Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!