Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A listening ear.

My husband...isn't a big talker. He doesn't say a whole lot. He is quiet most of the time, only speaking when he has something worth saying. I, on the other hand, could talk for days and if you are one of my phone buddies (wink wink) you know that's the truth. I love to talk and be talked to. I love conversation. Maybe it's because I am a woman. Maybe we just have this hidden urge to have to talk. For some of us...it doesn't hide at all. LOL My husband's biggest pet peeve when it comes to me, is me finishing his sentences. It used to be cute, how I knew his next thought, and I would say it as he was about to. We would laugh and maybe sneak in a little kiss from one another. Now...it's just down right annoying to him, and he probably would much rather put some duct tape over my mouth, and finish saying his own thought. I'm working on keeping my mouth shut. I'm glad he is a patient man. My husband...he's a listener. He listens to everything and remembers everything. We joke about his ability to look straight in my face, have a conversation with me, and also be listening to the two guys sitting across the room having a conversation. At times, he has giggled out loud, and I thought he was laughing at something I said. Then I realized that I didn't say anything funny. He would reply, "Oh no, I wasn't laughing at you. I was laughing at what that guy said over there. Go ahead Babe, I'm listening." So of course...as we women do...I would test him. "If you were listening to me, then what did I say?" I'd ask. He would then proceed to tell me word for word what I had said. Amazing! He must have extra ears hiding somewhere that I can't see. My husband...is a genius. What takes me several minutes to explain to the kids, takes him two seconds. He has an answer for every question they ask. It's like he has these degrees in all of these different areas except...HE DOESN'T! He knows stuff about everything. He knows stuff about stuff that I have never even heard of. Where does he get all of that information that is inside of his head? He has the memory of an elephant. He amazes me with all of the stuff that he knows, and sometimes he even scares me. He is so smart. Me...aahh...? What were we talking about? LOL My husband...isn't a big talker. He is a listener. He is a genius. It's only taken me 21 years with him to realize why he is so smart. (Example #1 why I am not as much) It's because he is a listener. He listens instead of talking as much. Of course his robotic memory does help. But, I have to give credit where credit is due, and I know that it is because he is such a great listener. He simply listens. I think that God is pleased with listeners. Of course, He wants us to talk and spread His love to those around us. But, how can we learn about Him, if we don't listen? How can we learn about others if we don't listen? God is the ultimate listener. He will not cut you off. He will not ignore you. He always has time to hear us. He listens. I want to mimic my Father. I want to be a listener. I want to shut my mouth long enough, to learn all there is to know about Him. I have wondered sometimes why I haven't heard from God about certain things. I prayed, asked, pleaded, cried, talked, questioned and talked some more. All the while...all He wanted me to do was to sit quietly and listen. How can we hear if we are too busy talking? It's in our silence, our reverance, and our stillness...that He speaks to us. My words to God...at times...are cutting Him off. He just wants me to listen to Him. I'm sure there have been times that God wanted to put "spriritual duct tape" on my mouth, just desiring me to listen and not speak. Just listen. My husband is a listener. My Father is a listener. I want to be a listener. I want to learn. I want to soak up others around me and draw knowledge from them. I want to drown in my Father's wisdom...so that I can know Him more. James 1:19 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring forth righteous life that God desires. Psalms 46:10 Be still and know that I am God. Matthew 11:15 He who has ears, let him hear. Proverbs 18:13 He who answers before listening-that is his folly and his shame. Proverbs 24: 3-4 Through wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established; by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches. Ecclesiastes 9:18 Wisdom is better than weapons of war, but one sinner destroys much good.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE this post! Love you! PS I love the new pics you've posted of your FOUR favorite people- do you need one of me so you can post your FIVE favorite people? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!