Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I'm missing something...

I have to make a confession. I have never, in my 38 years on this earth, participated in Black Friday shopping festivities. Gasp! Shreek! I know...give yourself a moment to completely freak out. Breathe in...breathe out...feel better? Okay now...remember me? Mrs. I Wasn't Born With The Shopping Gene...yep...that's me. Never, have I ever, even had the slightest inkling, of a tiny desire to go. Nope. Not. At. All. Is that wierd? Am I missing something? Maybe it's the name that gets me. BLACK FRIDAY. When I think of black, I think of death. Why would I want to participate in DEATH Friday? Who decided to call it Black Friday to begin with? Is there a meaning behind the name that I don't know about? Forgive me for being a skeptic, but I've heard the horror stories. I've watched the news. I've seen what goes on at those stores on Black Friday. People shove. People fall down. People call eachother names. And let me just clear up....when I say people...I mean women. Come on...you know who you are. You ladies were brought up much better than that. I refuse to be a part of such savage behavior. (Okay..so maybe I'm a little scared.) And believe me...I love a bargain. I'm as cheap as they come, but is it really worth the fight...to get that perfect present for that particular someone? Mmmm? Maybe I'm missing something... Or...maybe I have this whole thing all wrong. Maybe I am missing out on a tradition that goes way back to our ancestors, who fought the good fight, made peace with their enemies, and began the holiday celebration of shopping for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving. I mean...I am sure that the Pilgrim women and the Indian ladies, rushed out to the local market and began shoving and shopping the very next day, after peacefully breaking bread with one another and making HISTORY! Don't ya think? Yeh.....No. Sorry ladies...I just don't get it. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Do I lack the certain femininity that all other women have? Does this mean I am less of a woman? Should I seek help? Is there a hotline that I can call? Or worse...do I need a shopping gene transplant? Gasp!!! Yep! I'm definitely missing something... And I haven't even begun to talk about how early you get up to go shopping? Way to go ladies! There isn't enough coffee on this planet to wake me up that early. Nope. No way. Then again...I'm usually the one who shops stressfully, on the verge of needing Prozac...running around and rushing to find presents at the very last minute on Christmas Eve! Yeh...who am I to judge you? LOL My opinion may be of no use to you whatsoever...forget what I just said...carry on ladies...carry on. I'm missing something alright...a lack of shopping discipline! But, there is an upside to this entire event. I'm sure that we can all agree on this one thing. It is the exploding moment that truly welcomes the Christmas season. My favorite season of the year!! And I am most positive, that in spite of all the opinions about Black Friday that I have just given...you all feel the same way. I honestly have to give you all props, for dedicating your time and effort, to give your families and friends those special gifts, that will bring a wonderful smile to their face. And at times...risking your life to do it!! (Applause!!!) Christmas. There is nothing like it. The season of giving. The season of getting together with our loved ones from around the country, who we may not get to see on a regular basis. The season that we come together to celebrate the birth of our Savior. How blessed are we that we can celebrate His birth, freely and openly in our homes. Celebrating in the spirit of giving with one another as God gave Jesus to us. We are truly blessed! So...enjoy Black Friday ladies. I mean it...ENJOY it to the fullest! Spend some wonderful time with your sisters, moms, and good friends...shoppin' til' you drop. Grab those gifts that you have been strategically planning to buy for your loved ones. It will all be worth it on Christmas morning...I'm sure of it. I, on the other hand,will be enjoying time with my sister, who is coming in from Texas for the holiday. While you are out shopping...we will most likely be propped up on the couch, with all of our kids, drinking hot cocoa with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles on top, watching The Grinch Who Stole Christmas with Jim Carrey...my favorite! My sister doesn't do Black Friday either...mmmm? I wonder if our entire family is missing the shopping gene? Maybe we can get a 2-for-1 transplant price. And who knows...we might do something crazy and decide to live on the edge and go shopping...at a mall near you!! (smiley face)

Happy Shopping!!

Welcome Christmas Season!!

Acts 20:35

...remembering the words of the Lord Jesus himself, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Luke 1:30-33
But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David and he will reign over Jacob's descendants forever; his kingdom will never end."

1 comment:

  1. Okay, my friend. I am a SHOPPER. But, I refuse to fight. I might run. But I won't fuss or cuss. I won't let you cut in line. But, I won't run you over with my shopping cart. It is a tradition. We don't set our hearts on anything, knowing that if we get a "DEAL" then, good for us. If not, well, it was some really good, long, tiring, painful, amazing GIRL TIME! Enjoy your hot chocolate! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!