Monday, December 5, 2011

Beyond the winds of change.





There is something about our weather here in Southwest Louisiana...

one day it can be hot and humid, and the next thing you know, the winds of change blow in and your waking up twelve hours later with frost on the ground and an ice cold chill in the air.

The scenery is totally different and sometimes a mess.

If it weren't for the wonderful family who lives nearby, and their delectible stews and etoufee's, that my stomach is accustomed to, or the sweet friends whom I love to inhale and exhale with, over a cup of warm Southern coffee,  I would have already packed my bags and found a new place to set up tent!

They have me in their loving trance, so I have no other choice but to stay put while I am drenched in their goodness.


The other morning, we awoke to our yard in quite the bit of a shamble.

The winds of change had made their self known.
Limbs were draped all over the browning grass, our trash cans were tossed on their side with trash bags spewing out of them, colorful leaves decorated our land like a canvas, as they were tossed to and fro, our patio chairs were no longer in their regular spot around our patio table and even a few shingles had fallen off of the roof of our shed.

Our outside looked as though it had been ransacked!

Even our large plastic, light-up Santa had been thrown across the yard.
 He had landed in the ditch and on his face.
 To this my kids shrieked,  
"It's like we've been vandalized Mom!  Look at poor Santa Claus!"

We had heard the winds whistling during the night, singing a melody like a flute through our chimney, but we did not assess the damage until the following morning. 

Things were a big mess outside and the winds of change had brought with it, a very cold temperature in the low 30s.

Buuurrrgggghhhhh!


The winds of change...

they blow in, sometimes leaving a big messy scene, as they bring in a new season to the air.


John 3:8
The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."



Our lives have experienced the winds of change once again.

They've blown in without a moment's notice and have created quite the big mess.

Things have been swirling all around and it feels as though we've been ransacked.

My husband is that plastic Santa that has been thrown around and vandalized.
Tossed in the ditch and on his face.

It's only by God's precious Grace that
I can say that with a smile on my face...

because I know that the winds of change never come and just leave their big mess.

They always, always bring with them something fresh and new.

Something brisk and welcoming.

Something unexpected, but needed.

As I witness my Savior reaching inside of my husband's chest and rearranging his heart, ripping out the old and replacing it with a Love so divine, I am blown away like those leaves tossed to and fro in our yard.

Even in the midst of this physical storm he has endured, I see God's hand, and It's reaching out for us to grab it.

As his wife, I see his outer self struggling with the smallest, simplest daily routines, and I want to rush in and help him be better.

I yearn to fix what is broken.


With clinched hands I hold on tightly.

I want to heal him somehow and make him stronger.

But, I know that I can't.

I only know the One who can.

 I see God in all His wonder, weaving His way in and out of our lives even in this big mess.

I feel the winds of change as they brush against us almost knocking us off our feet.

And yet...
I see Him fixing.  healing.  restoring.  loving.  rescuing.

I am reminded of the story of the disciples, as they sat in their fishing boat watching the waves rise up all around them.

The winds blowing and whistling with their fierceness.

As they feel tossed around, landing with their face in the dirt.

Fear and doubt rushing into their minds.

Peter in his knowing, yet needing and longing to see the Son of God revealed within the storm.

Part of me wants to yell out in doubt and fear,
" Oh God, the waves are so big this time and they are tossing us back and forth.  And the rain Lord, it's hitting us so very hard!  How can I trust that this is not going to harm us and cause us to go under?"
 Then, the part of me that knows my Father and His love for me, yet still needing and longing to see His face within the storm says,
"I hear you calling from within the storm Lord.  I'm coming! Let me see your face Lord. Take my hand if I fall."


He whispers softly, breathing His life into me, as my heart tries to make sense of it all,

"If there was no storm, how would you see Me walk on the water? Oh faint of heart, don't you see Me?"


In all of His Glory and Majesty, He whispers through the rain and the wind, wooing me towards Him.

My soul is filled with a rushing river of peace.
Speaking words that my heart longs to hear Him say.
Needing me to trust Him.
Walking into His grace.
Fixing my eyes on only Him.
Reaching out to grab His hand.
Seeing Him for who He is.
Rejoicing in His mercy.


As I sit in the cold metal chair, and watch from across the room, as the doctor bends my husband's leg backwards and forward, strengthening his body with every push and fold, he says words that blow a peace within my spirit.

The doctor does not realize how much his words whisper life as he says,

"This is just something that you must pass through to get to a stronger and better place."

It covers my heart like sweet mollasses, as I hear God's voice in his words, almost tasting His sweetness around me.



A stronger and better place.

That place of redemption and peace, beyond the winds of change. 
 
 
 
Matthew 14:25-33
Their boat was tossed around within the winds and the rain.
Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to meet them, walking on the lake.  When the disciples saw him walking on the lake they were terrifed.  "It's a ghost!" they cried out in fear.  But Jesus immediately called out to them, "Take courage!  It is I.  Do not be afraid."
Peter, suddenly bold, said "Master if it's really you, call to me to come to you on the water."  He said, "Come ahead."  Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus.  But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath hsi feet, he lost his courage and started to sink.  He cried, "Lord save me!"  Jesus didn't hesitate.  He reached down and grabbed his hand.  Then he said, "Faint heart, what got into you?"  The two of them climbed inot the boat, having watched the whole thing, worshiped Jesus saying, "This is He!  You are God's Son for sure!"
 
 

1 comment:

  1. incredible. a stronger and better place. i love that. from glory to glory is i think how to bible describes it. you're doing such a fantastic job of looking at this trial and seeing it as a sheer gift. god has given you eyes to see.

    i was nodding in agreement with your opening words about the food, but especially about the people here... if not for that, you and me both, we'd be long gone. but i can only leave now if everyone will come with me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!