Monday, July 16, 2012

Wings to fly



Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.
~~Victor Hugo



We drove slowly down our gravel road the other day,
listening to the crackel of the rocks beneath the tires.


The radio softly played in the background.


I noticed two birds sitting in the middle of the road a little ways ahead of us.


As we drove closer to them,
they spread their wings of majesty and swooped up from the dirty gravel,
leaving behind a tiny cloud of dust.


We continued driving,
and the birds began to fly back and forth above the road.


My daughter and I giggled as it looked like they were playing with us.


We were almost to our driveway when both of the birds flew speedily in front of the windshield of our dusty truck.

So close, that I ducked in my seat thinking they were going to hit the glass.
I could see the grayish white underbelly of one of the birds.


"Man!" I exclaimed,
"Those birds sure are brave to get that close."


My daughter responded, in a round about way of speaking, as if she had written an entire lecture on the matter...

"They are brave, because they have wings."


Quiet filled the entirety of the truck as I took in her words filled with so much life and wisdom.


Then I saw her,
five years old,
smiling brightly,
hair all mangled and knotted and soft,
standing on the back of the couch in our living room.

Her little voice saying to me, as she balanced herself upright on the edge,

"Ready Momma? I'm going to fly to you."


As I stood before her just a foot and a half away,
she jumped into my arms with a breath taking bravery.

"See Momma, I'm like a bird. I can fly."
She says seconds after landing against me.


I held her tightly to me as we spun around,
her hair whisping in the air.

I rubbed my hand down her tiny little back,
where her wings had begun to gently sprout.

Her trust in me being the wind beneath her tiny soft downy wings.


She is brave, because she has wings.


The truck comes to a stop in the driveway, she opens her door and leaves the truck, shutting it behind her.

She walks away radiantly and confident.

I think in the quiet awe of the words she just spoke,
how much her wings have grown.

How beautifully she flies.

I ask God to help her trust Him with all her heart.
I pray upon her all the bravery He can give her.

I pray that she find her wings to fly.


Isaiah 40:31
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.



They are brave, because they have wings.

I pray that you find trust in Him today.
May you be brave enough to use your wings to fly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!