Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas traditions.

 




 
I ventured out yesterday in hopes to finish my Christmas shopping.
 
I had high hopes of getting it all done in one clean sweep.
 
Well...
 
you know what?
 
I did!
 
With the assistance of two very entertaining Christmas helpers,
 
(Thank you Amber and Tray!)
 
I was quite successful.
 
Who knew two teenagers could be so good at shopping?
(insert sarcasm here)
 
I can't tell you how elated I was when the last present was purchased.
 
Oh happy day!!!
 
The two hours in traffic on the way home...
that's right,
2 hours...
didn't bother be as much as it normally would have,
 just because I knew I wouldn't have to return to the busyness of the city and shop again until after Christmas.
 
Wooohoooo!!
High fives all around and a happy dance for me!
 
Now that the Christmas shopping is complete and my daughter is home from college,
it is definitely beginning to feel like Christmas.
 
This is a bittersweet Christmas for us.
 
I think that our youngest is catching on to the whole
"Santa" bit and this will be our last Christmas with Santa.
(insert sad face here)

No more Santa.
No more cookies and milk set out on the mantle.
No more putting out sparkly oatmeal for the reindeers.
No more sneaking around like Christmas elves filling up the stockings.
No more.

Okay...let me just stop for a moment.
 
Yes...we did the Santa thing with our children.
 
They all know that Jesus is their Savior,
that He is the reason we live and breathe and have a season of celebration and giving.
He is the One we Glorify with our hearts and lives and He is our source for all things.
He is who we are made to worship.


Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.


They know that the fat guy,
who celebrates no-shave November year round,
he just brings presents on Christmas and eats the cookies.
 
That's it in a nutshell.
 
Moving on...
 
(insert sad face here, again)
 
So yeah...
we have a tradition at our house.
 
When the kids get of age and come to the realization that we are in fact the actual Santa,
they get to stay up with us on Christmas Eve and wrap the Santa gifts.
 
My husband makes frozen coffee with mountains of whip cream and chocolate sprinkles.
 
They are so yummy!
 
We stay up to the wee hours of Christmas morning laughing and reminiscing of Christmas pasts,
and the memories we have made as a family.

They get to help us devour the Christmas cookies left for Santa on the mantle and giggle with excitement,
like Santa's elves,
 as we sneak quietly to place the presents under the tree and fill the stockings.

Then,
when we all come down off of our caffeine and sugar high from those yummy frozen coffees,
 we crash until the younger ones, or one,
 wake up surprised once again on Christmas morning that Santa has visited our home.

It's quite magical.

It is honestly one of my favorite moments throughout the year.


My oldest daughter began helping us play the part of Santa quite a few years ago and our youngest daughter has joined the crew for the last couple of years.

And as I said,
I am sure that our little guy,
who just made double digits this past August,
will be joining us soon too.

But, then what?

Sigh...

I haven't got a clue.

I guess we will just have to start a new Christmas tradition.

I do hope,
that this tradition will live on one day with our own children and their little ones.

That would be sweet.

Speaking of sweet!

Now that all of the shopping is complete,
I can get on to more pressing business at hand.

Making cake balls!

I have over 300 in the freezer waiting to be dipped and decorated to give out to all of our family and friends for Christmas.

I've got some new decorating ideas that I am excited to try this year.

I just love giving them out to those I love.

My great grandmother always said,

"A way to a person's heart is through their stomach."

I think she may have been right about that.

I definitely haven't made any ememies giving away cake balls.


What traditions do you have in your home for Christmas?


Feel free to share them here in the comment section below,
or on my facebook page here.

 
Have a super fantastic day!

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!