Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mason to the rescue!

We have baby birds in our fireplace.
We noticed their faint little chirping about a week ago.
Well, that was a week ago...
Now, every night at about 6:30 or so, they begin chirping very loudly.
Very. Loudly.
We figured out that it must be feeding time at that moment, and that there mother is off somewhere trying to find as many worms as she can, flying back as fast as her little wings can take her, to feed her little nest and get them quiet again.
About an hour after the chirping begins, there is immediate silence.
Silence.
Until the next night, at the same exact time.
Last night, we were sitting watching American Idol, when the chirping became suspiciously close. My husband took out his flashlight to see if maybe one of the little birds had fallen somewhere down the flue of the chimney and was caught somehow, unable for the mother to reach it.
By the way, before last night, I thought it was called a flute. My husband gladly corrected me and said, "No, Babe, that's a musical instrument."
Flue, flute.
Tomato.
Toe-moh-toe.
Thanks Babe.
Anywho...
Of course, when my husband had his flashlight, Mason had to go run and get his flashlight, and offer his Dad any help or wisdom that he could. Mason runs back into the room with his headlight/flashlight strapped to his head.
He looked like a mini coal miner. HA!
He says to his dad, "Okay Dad. I'm ready, now let's rescue that bird."
He knelt next to his dad and began to search for the little bird.
"It's dark in there, huh Dad?" He said.
"Yep. Very dark." My husband responded.
They looked for several minutes.
They saw nothing. They found nothing.
But, the chirping didn't stop.
Mason began to chirp at the bird, "Chirp, chirp. Tweet, tweet."
I asked, "What are you doing Mase?"
" I'm talking to the bird. It needs a friend right now." He said.
"Oh." I said.
He began again, "Chirp, chirp. Tweet, tweet. It's okay little bird. Your mommy is gonna get ya out. She didn't leave you. Chirp, chirp. Tweet, tweet."
"That's nice of you to talk to the bird Mase." I said.
"Yeh, I figured it might need some company since it's all alone. I don't know if it understands English or not, so I am trying to speak it's language so it will understand me."
I smiled watching him talk to the bird, and lean in the fireplace with his flashlight beaming upward.
He then says, "Here little bird, I'm gonna shine this light until she comes and gets you, so you won't feel alone."
My heart melted.
Not long after, the chirping stopped. Needless to say, we never found the little bird. We assume that either the mother found it, or it was just hungrier than it's siblings and had a louder chirp, which made it sound closer than it actually was. That's what we're hoping.
As I tucked Mason in to bed, of course his first thoughts were to pray for that little bird.
"God, please keep the baby bird safe until it's mommy comes and finds it. Help it feel safe in the dark fireplace."
Be still my heart!
Mason's willingness to help out reminded me of something...
How many times have I been in a dark place?
How many times have I felt alone and abandoned?
Like there was no way out.
Sometimes, feeling as though God has forgotten about me and left me behind.
I struggle to climb out of a tight and scarey spot in my life.
I cry out in fear.
Then, a friend comes along.
To talk with me.
To encourage me.
To shed some light on my situation.
To give me kind words filled with love.
To bring peace to my fear.
To pray with me.
To sit with me a while.
To make me feel safe, until my Father swoops in and rescues me.
As He always does.
Friends.
I don't know where I would be without mine.
Be a friend.
Encourage.
Reach out.
Comfort.
Light up the darkness with kind words of encouragement.
Even the simple words, "I'm praying for you" can mean so much to someone.
And if you don't speak the same language, or think that you are on two different levels and you can't communicate , always remember...
LOVE is the language we all speak in common.
Love today.
Be a friend!
Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.
Proverbs 17:7
A friend loves at all times.
I Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage one another and build eachother up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine"


THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!

Hope your visit was a pleasant one. Be blessed and come back soon!